Posted on Aug 6th, 2012
LANDSCAPING UPDATE August 6, 2012
ELCI had crews in site working mostly along Glenhaven and Briarhurst. Work generally consists of landscape and irrigation. Work along Briarhurst generally includes installation and maintenance of Erosion control devices.
Norris Design is preparing a change order (as discussed) to provide additional plantings around the monuments on Green Meadows.
Mowing is scheduled for 8/2/2012 (for the new turf grass).
At the corner of Glenhaven and Terrace, there are three ornamental grasses that should be moved out of the area between the Spruce tree and fence, and relocated slightly farther to the south.
It was noted that there is excellent germination of the seed; however weeds are also beginning to germinate. The main focus of maintenance on seed areas during the next few months will be weed management. It is necessary to allow weeds to grow to be able to treat them. This is a normal process. Weed control will be accomplished through a combination of mowing, pulling weeds, and selective herbicides. Germination of the seed is ahead of schedule – more growth is expected over the next month.
There were multiple locations where more spray coverage would be beneficial to seed establishment. ELCI has submitted a change order to provide additional irrigation heads for these areas. It should be noted that the seed areas are not designed to have the same type of uniform irrigation coverage as the turf grass area. The spray irrigation on the seed is primarily designed to aid in establishment. The variations in the spray coverage is better for promoting diversity of species on the slope (this will yield a more sustainable stand of grasses).
A few trees which were limbed up higher adjacent to the new sod need additional wood mulch underneath them.
Across from 2194 Terrace, ELCI should check the irrigation zone on the turf to ensure this is not leaking. The area was saturated. It is possible this is caused from a leak in the system or subsurface drainage from
Glenhaven properties. ELCI will verify those items they can control to determine if the saturation is caused by work they installed.
Across from 2234 there is a stump which must be removed.
There are two additional Spruce trees that should be installed when these trees are more available and
environmental conditions are better suited for installing this Spruce tree. This is expected to happen in September.
Across from 2234 Terrace there is an irrigation head that needs to be re-set.
Across from 2314 Terrace, ELCI should inspect the turf zone for a leak.
Across from 2314 Terrace, ECLI should adjust the turf edge to create a smoother edge.
Across from 2324 Terrace there is one Linden that still needs the lower limbs pruned.
Across from 2354 Terrace there is a stump that needs to be removed.
Across from 2364 Terrace the spray coverage on the seed zone does not appear to be operating properly. ELCI should check the heads and install additional head(s) to improve coverage.
Across from 2414 Terrace it appears this turf zone is being over watered. ELCI should decrease the run time of this zone by 20%.
The boulders around the Green Meadows mailbox should be relocated to the area by the sign at Green
Meadows and Terrace.
The backflow preventer on Glenhaven appears to be leaking.
The irrigation system is being installed – most of the mainline is complete. Adjustments to the routing of the
system are being made to better work around roots. ELCI should ensure that they dimension the location of bends for as-built purposes.
Spreading, ripping, and tilling of the stockpiled compost will begin this week.
Retaining wall blocks around the transformer will begin this week.
Glenhaven is scheduled for an August 24th completion. There were minor delays from weather and Douglas
County inspections that have pushed this date one week farther from the last schedule.
This work is scheduled to be complete by the end of August.
There is additional light tree pruning that needs to occur on the crabapples.
Erosion control and treatment of the existing grasses have started.
Maintenance is occurring in this area.
Terraridge Drive and Westwind Lane
No work has begun on this area.
Maintenance is occurring in this area.
1. ELCI had crews in site working along Terrace and Glenhaven work generally consisted of landscape and irrigation. Work along Briarhurst generally includes installation and maintenance of Erosion control devices.
2. Overall tree health was reviewed – ECLI continues to water trees regularly using the irrigation system and manually.
4. Since the last meeting there has been one storm event that caused a two day delay in the overall project schedule.
5. ELCI was directed to leave 25 irrigation flags by the backflow – in the event residents see irrigation related issues they can flag heads so that ELCI can more easily locate heads not operating properly.
6. Work along Terrace Drive is substantially complete – 100% of the irrigation system is completed and operational. The landscape work is 98% completed. There are around 25 missing shrubs that should arrive by the end of this week. There is one planting bed that has not yet been installed. The boulder needs to be placed by the entry monument. There is additional tree trimming that must occur on the lower portions of the trees.
7. A punch list inspection will be conducted on Wednesday (7/25) at 11:30 for Terrace. The purpose of this inspection is to ensure all items are in full compliance with the contract documents. It is expected that ELCI will pass this inspection and have no outstanding issues. Any outstanding issues must be reconciled prior the community walk for initial acceptance. A time on Friday, July 27 is proposed for this inspection.
8. There are a few areas along Terrace where there is exposed edger or missing pieces – ELCI should check all shrub beds for compliance.
9. The backflow enclosure was painted; however additional screening is recommended as well as a more aesthetically appropriate enclosure. This will be reviewed with the community walk thorugh.
10. Two evergreen trees were incorrectly removed during the demo process across from 2234 Terrace. Norris Design is recommending these trees be replaced with like species (Ponderosa Pine) – 12’ Ht. We are not recommending replacement of these trees until weather is better for tree procurement or planting. This will likely be near September 1 for the optimal planting time.
11. During the initial review, it was noted that there are areas where additional plant material could be installed to enhance the look of the plant design. Refer to the attached sheets for the locations of this material. ELCI should provide pricing for the inclusion of the following material. The locations will be marked for the community walk.
a. 6 Feather Reed Grass
b. 20 Red Salvia
c. 6 Mountain Mahogany
d. 1 Autumn Brilliant Serviceberry (6’ Ht)
e. 6 Sand Cherry
f. 2 Tammy Juniper
g. 11 Three Leaf Sumac
h. 4 Red Switch Grass
i. 2 Buffalo Juniper
12. The irrigation system is being installed – approximately 50% of the mainline is completed. Adjustments to the routing of the system are being made to better work around roots. ELCI should ensure that they dimension the location of bends for as-built purposes.
13. All parts for the irrigation system on Glenhaven have been delivered.
14. Soil preparation is being delivered and being stockpiled along Glenhaven for later tilling into the soil. This represents approximately 75% of the line item associated with demo and soil preparation.
15. Blocks for the retaining walls (Alt #1) have been delivered. Placement of the block should begin by next week. The material delivery represent approximately 30% of the total cost for this item.
16. Despite the weather delay, Glenhaven is still on schedule for a mid-August completion.
17. The irrigation mainline and laterals are being installed according to schedule.
18. No work has begun on this area.
19. The planting plan for the entry monument has been approved. This work is scheduled to be done in August.
20. There is additional light tree pruning that needs to occur on the crabapples. ELCI will include this pruning in the schedule for the next week. Briarhurst Drive
21. No work has begun on this area.
22. Irrigation work is expected to begin by the end of next week with trenching for mainline.
23. There is some additional tree trimming that needs to occur in this area.
24. Maintenance is occurring in this area.
Terraridge Drive and Westwind Lane
25. No work has begun on this area.
26. There is some additional tree trimming that needs to occur in this area.
27. Maintenance is occurring in this area.